What the City needs to know when you call:
- Where in the home is it backing up?
- Are all of the fixtures (i.e. sinks, toilets, tub and cleanouts) backing up or just one?
- Have you called someone out to look at the problem?
- Do you have a cleanout and where is it located?
- What is your name, address and phone number where we can reach you?
What you need to know before you call the City of Pittsburg:
- The City is responsible for the sewer lateral from the backside of the sidewalk (on property owner’s side) to the City main in the street. There are some cleanouts located in backyards and the City will not use backyard cleanouts unless the main sewer line is running through the backyard.
- If the plumbing problem is in only one area of your home, then that means there is an internal problem and the City will not work on private property.
- Before you make any plans or any repairs to the sewer lateral on your property, please contact the Public Works Department during regular business hours of 7:00 am to 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
- If the City responds to a call and it is determined to not be the City’s responsibility, you will be charged a $182.00 call-out fee.
- If you do not have a cleanout, the City will respond and check the main sewer line. If the main sewer line is clear, you will have to call a plumber and you will be charged a $182.00 call-out fee.
- If you do have a cleanout, the City will check the lateral to determine where the blockage exists. If it is determined to be plugged on the property owner’s section of the lateral and the City unplugs the blockage, you will be charged a $182.00 call-out fee.
- If the stoppage is on the City maintained section of sewer lateral, the City will unplug it at no charge and schedule the lateral to be videoed during normal business hours. If a repair is needed on the City’s maintained section of lateral, the will schedule and make the necessary repairs.
The City of Pittsburg Public Works Department is committed to providing quality service to its residents. As part of this service, the Public Works Department has a 24-hour phone number: (925) 252-4936. Regular business hours are Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 3:30 pm. We have a person on call Monday - Friday, 3:30 pm - 7:00 am and weekends.