COVID-19 Operations Update:
Please be aware that Pittsburg City Hall is currently closed to the general public due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. During this time, planning staff will be working remotely to the best of our ability to continue to move planning projects through the pipeline. Regular Planning Commission meetings will continue to be held virtually until further notice.
If you have general planning related questions, please either email the planner-on-duty at email@example.com, or leave a voicemail on the main line at (925) 252-4920, and we will return your call at our earliest convenience. Note, it may take 1-2 business days to respond depending on staff workloads.
If you are looking for a status update on a pending application, please contact the project planner directly. If you do not know who the planner is, you can find this information on the Project Pipeline list.
We will be continuing to accept new applications, but only after phone consultation with a planner. New applications should be sent electronically (via email), with the check for applicable fees mailed directly to the Planning Division at 65 Civic Avenue, Pittsburg, CA
The Planning Department facilitates new development consistent with the City’s General Plan, Zoning Ordinance, Sign Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance, the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and other State, Federal and local regulations pertaining to new development activity.
The Planning Department is responsible for the development, maintenance and implementation of the City’s General Plan, the development and administration of Chapter 18 (Zoning Ordinance), Chapter 19 (Sign Ordinance) and the co-administration of Chapter 17 (Subdivision Ordinance) of the Pittsburg Municipal Code. In addition, the Planning Department administers the NPDES Clean Water Program for the City and coordinates and facilitates the preparation of CEQA documents for the City.
Planning Department services include:
- Providing planning and zoning information to the general public and development community over the counter, by phone, mail and e-mail, as requested.
- Accepting, processing, analyzing and evaluating both public and private planning applications for conformance with the City's General Plan, Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance, Sign Ordinance, CEQA and other State and local planning regulations.
- Preparing CEQA documentation for simple to moderately complex private development projects and City Capital Improvement Projects (CIP); soliciting and supervising the preparation of CEQA documents by consultants for large, complex private development projects and CIPs.
- Providing feedback to surrounding jurisdictions on planning applications involving land outside Pittsburg’s jurisdiction that may impact our community.
- Maintaining and updating the General Plan, Zoning Ordinance and other planning-related documents.