“Keep Clear” Pavement Marking Request Form [PDF]
The purpose of this policy is to provide a consistent method of granting “Keep Clear” pavement marking requests in the City of Pittsburg. It is the intent of the City to limit the number of “Keep Clear” markings in the City and at the same time, keep traffic flow efficient.
To qualify for a “Keep Clear” pavement legend, the requested location must meet ALL five of the following criteria:
- Markings must help alleviate the problem for left turns only, ingress and egress into and out of the side street or driveway. Markings will not be considered for right turns into and out of side street or driveway.
- Requested location must be on a City Arterial or Collector road, as designated in the City of Pittsburg General Plan.
- The number of left turns that ingress and egress from the side street or driveway must exceed 30 vehicles during the peak hour of the street on which markings are requested.
- The affected vehicles from criteria number 3 must have at least 120 seconds of average vehicle delay to proceed through the intersection
Collision data must show more than 3 broadside (right-angle) accidents within a 3-year period at the requested intersection.
- The location must not be impacted by temporary changes in traffic patterns due to roadway improvement projects (e.g. detours, closures, etc.)
Exemptions and Special Circumstances
- Locations that are exempt from meeting the above Policy Criteria are as follows:
- Fire Stations
- School Crossings
- Police and Emergency Service Driveways
- Senior Centers and Senior Housing
- Requests for “Keep Clear” markings at driveways related to businesses or commercial use will be further evaluated on a case-by-case basis after meeting the above Policy Criteria.
This City of Pittsburg “Keep Clear” Pavement Marking Policy was accepted by the citizens’ Traffic and Circulation Advisory Committee on October 3, 2002, and by the staff level Traffic Committee on October 10, 2002.